Sunday, May 16, 2010

Watermellon Festival and T-Ball (All in One Day)




What a busy weekend! From the moment we woke up Saturday morning I knew it was going to be a day filled with fun...no Wii today Steven...we are spending it outside. Our first stop...Newberry Watermelon Festival Parade! I think my son got more candy at the parade than he did at Halloween. He had just learned how to chew gum and we got plenty of it at the parade. After the parade was over it was off to T-Ball. This was Steven's last T-Ball game. Don't get me wrong, I think sports are great for kids. I participated in sports all my life as a child up until I graduated college for that matter, I was always active in something. But as a wife to a fireman who works 24 to 48 hours at a time, and a working full time mom, I gotta tell ya...I was happy that I no longer had to get off work at 2:00pm to make it home by 3:00pm, to get Steven off the bus at 3:50, leave at 5:00pm to make it to practice twice a week at 5:30pm which lasted until 6:30, and then we did not get home until 7:00pm which meant we were having a late dinner. By this point in my day I was exhausted. Please don't get me wrong, there are SO MANY positives to Steven playing in organized sports, but boy I tell ya....there is a lot of energy used to keep things in a positive perspective especially when you are so very tired. However, Steven is thrilled beyond belief that he has not one, but two trophy's now! They are placed next to his bed to see every night before he goes to sleep. He has come such a long way from last year in T-Ball. Last year there was a lot of playing in the sand and throwing grass in the air, which was actually quite funny to watch as the ball rolled by him during a game or at practice. Steven started out as catcher this year and before every game he would tell me that he was going to let his coach know that he was going to be catcher. By the end of the season he was wearing his catchers uniform and sitting on the ground behind home plate. I would walk over to him and ask "Whatcha doing big guy"? His responce would be "I'm tired". He was still a good sport though. Even with not wanting to do it anymore, he would still go up to home plate and try to hit the ball off the "T"...in slow motion at that. Let's just say that even with as hectic as it is, I got lots of pleasure out of watching him play.

No comments:

Post a Comment