Monday, May 17, 2010

A Deceptively Delicious Night!

Okay, so I was visiting my brother and sister-n-law in Feb and somehow we got on the topic of little picky eaters. My son has ALWAYS been the type of child where he will decide that he is no longer hungry if there is any "black" on his chicken from the grill. My sister-n-law introduced me to Jerry Seinfeld's wife's (Jessica Seinfeld) book titled "Deceptively Delicious".  This is the BEST cookbook for picky eaters! One of my most current recipes that I have done from the book is "Pita Pizza's" with spinach. My son loves these pita pizza's. I have made about 12 of them and then put them in the freezer for quick dinner's for when my husband is at work. I don't want to cook for just myself and for a child that does not eat a lot, so I prepare these meals ahead of time and then freeze. They work beautifully!


I took frozen spinach (it's cheaper than fresh), thawed and then pureed in the food processor. I spread the pureed spinach on the whole wheat pita and then covered the pureed spinach with caned tomato sauce (cheaper in the can than the jar). This is the key to ALL of these recipes (very deceptive). Make sure to cover the spinach with the sauce so they don't see the healthy stuff.

I then placed a slice of mozzarella cheese over each pita and baked in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted.


Viola....they turned out great and even smelled delicious...as the cook, I just had to have one myself. I must say, these are some good pita pizzas. I then wrapped in wax paper and placed in the freezer. I now have two weeks worth of dinner's.


Let's just say the proof is in the pudding! My son is eating spinach! I could not believe my eyes and I knew that I just had to take a picture while he was enjoying it and before he noticed there was "green" stuff on that pizza.

In addition to the "Pitta Pizza's" with spinach, I have also made Chocolate Chip pancakes with sweet potatoes, and tonight we ate "Mac-N-Cheese" with cauliflower. He finished the entire bowl. All of these meals are made in abundance and then frozen. I then heat everything up in the oven at 350 degrees (time varies depending on what I am heating). I love this book and would recommend it to anyone who has picky eaters (or not...they can only be good for your child because all recipes are made with vegetables).



So, even these have nothing to do with my Deceptively Delicious Night, I figured I would post the most recent pictures of my little man. The first is of Steven ready for bed drinking his night cap of chocolate milk. The second is his T-Ball trading card, and the third is his most recent school picture. I love my bubby!

Have a Deceptively Delicious Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment