Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Plentiful Garden, A Happy Child, and an "Amish Friendship Cinnamon Loaf" recipe



Over the holiday weekend I went down to our garden and look at what I found. Seven beautiful yellow squash. We had it for dinner last night along with some cranberry chicken that I had prepared the night before. Steve grilled the chicken and the squash on the grill and I must say...the chicken was good but I have never had squash so flavorful before. Steve says it must be the chicken poop that he has been throwing on the garden when he cleans it...(this was of course after I had eaten about 2 squashes at this point)...but I gotta tell ya...it's working! Our tomatoes are bigger than ever, the cucumbers are in the dozens (not ready to pick yet), and the eggplant is just now beginning to show it's face along with the green peppers. We also will have a few rows of white acre peas (which Steve introduced me to and I LOVE them).



I took this picture tonight while Steven and I were having snuggle time watching some Disney Pixar "Short Films". At one point Steven was laughing so hard (one of those deep belly laughs) I just had to get a picture. What a difference after him being sick on Sunday and Monday throwing up. By Monday evening he was on his way to recovery, but I have to believe that all the activity at Wild Waters on Saturday played some part in this 24 hour bug, but all is well now. I found myself laughing at Steven's laugh tonight...those are the best!
The process of replacing my wallet contents after having it stolen is a slow one, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will be getting my birth certificate tomorrow morning and then going to the courthouse to get a new driver's license. Because I did not have a licence to get my birth certificate ($15.00 for proof of my own birth...geez) which I needed to get a driver's licence I had to make lots of phone calls to find out what other forms of identification would do. I had my work type up a letter and notarize it for me stating that I am currently employed there, and then will show them my work ID as well as my Social Security card. I will then carry over an entirely different set of documents to the courthouse so I could get a new driver's license. Still waiting on my new debit card that I was told was in the process of being requested (a week ago) but just learned it had not been so it will be another 7 to 10 days before I will have that in my possession. I am grateful however that I did not have my checkbook in my wallet OR my social security card.




Due to the growing popularity of the "Amish Friendship Cinnamon Loaf" that I have been making so much of lately (thank you Ruby) and I know how easy it is to loose the recipe I thought I would just post it online that way everyone would know where to go to get it if they needed it.

Amish Friendship Cinnamon Loaf

DO NOT use any type of metal bowls or spoons for mixing
DO NOT refrigerate
It is normal for the batter to rise, bubble and ferment. Burp as needed

Day 1: Do Nothing
Day 2: Mush the bag
Day 3: Mush the bag
Day 4: Mush the bag
Day 5: Mush the bag
Day 6: Add to bag 1 Cup self-rising flour, 1 Cup sugar and 1 Cup milk; mush the bag
Day 7: Mush the bag
Day 8: Mush the bag
Day 9: Mush the bag
Day 10: Follow the instructions:

1) Pour entire contents of bag into a NON-METAL bowl
2) Add 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose flour, 1 1/2 Cups sugar, 1 1/2 Cup milk and stir
3) Measure 1 Cup batter into each of (4) 1 gallon size Ziploc bags and give to a friend along with a copy of this recipe.
4) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5) Add to remaining batter:

3 eggs
1 Cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 LARGE box instant vanilla pudding
1 Cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Cup all purpose flour

6) Grease 2 large loaf pans
7) In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar with 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust the greased pans with 1/2 the mixture
8) Pour the batter evenly into the 2 loaf pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture over the top.
9) Bake 1 hour and cool until it loosens easily from the sides of the pan (about 10 min)
10) Serve hot or cold.....Yummy!!!!

If you keep a starter for yourself, you will be baking every 10 days. The bread is very good and makes a great gift. Only the Amish know how to create a starter, so if you give them away, you'll have to wait until someone gives you one back.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment