Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Gators & Kindergarten with some ketchup on the side please"




Yep...that is what I would like...my ketchup on the side please...because I don't think my plate can hold any more. It is the beginning of a new school year and my son is starting KINDERGARTEN! Can you believe it? No? Well...neither can I. Monday night Steve and I went to Steven's school for an "Open House" type of thing where you get to do a "meet and greet" with your child's new teacher. I walked into this with it all figured out...so I thought. Steven has been going to Trenton Elementary since around April 2007. He had just turned 3 and was now starting Pre-K so he could get more intense one on one with his speech and fine motor skills. He then started off an entire new year beginning in August of 2007 (still in Pre-K) and stayed with the same teacher for the next two years. My son's teacher and I became close enough that she allowed me to send her "text" messages whenever I felt like it regarding Steven, who was picking up, and she would send me "text" messages as well if she ever had any questions...I mean come on....doesn't everyone have their child's teacher's cell phone number at hand to send them a text whenever they felt like it? I KNEW that this was a reality, however it was a gift that was given to us and I was blessed to have received it, along with many other's that Steven's teacher gave us in regards to Steven's individual needs being met. I never put these expectations on Steven's new teacher, but I did hit a comfort zone there for a while, and after last night that was no longer. It is a new year and my boy is growing up. Life itself is one huge roller coaster of comfort zones, however I am still finding myself hanging on to what I "Know" even though at the same time it is NOT what is best for Steven. With all that being said, Steve and I were able to get some one-on-one time after all the other parents left (because I refused to leave until I was comfortable enough to). At first it appeared that Steven's teacher was not genuinely interested in Steve and I, and who our child was, however "inside" I told myself..."Goodness Adina...she has tons of parents in here, all at the same time, asking her a ton of questions, and she has never met us before. Give her a chance". After we spoke a second time (this time in length) I felt much better and our conversation was much more purposeful. With all that being said, I still was holding back the tears when I found out how much more Steven would be expected to do on his own on a day to day basis. Yes...I am fully aware that this is called "growing up" however it does not make it easy on a mother to be "told" when to let go of the reins..that is how I felt..but I guess sometimes there are those that must be told to let go of those reins, otherwise we would just continuously direct the horse in the direction that we want them to go instead of allowing them to go out on their own.

This past Sunday, Steve and I went to "Gator Fan Day" at the O'Connell Center. We got lots of pictures of players, and had two posters signed by the players as well. These of course will be going in Steven's bedroom. Steven was having a blast with Grandma and Paw Paw in Monticello, swimming, and playing with his new Nintendo DS, that I am sure he was thanking me for not making him wait in line, stand over here, stand over there, and having to be told to stand to EVERY SINGLE PLAYER so I could get a picture.

In closing, I bought my first meditation workbook and CD and did a 20 minute breathing exercise when I got home from work. My head has never been so clear. My body has never been so relaxed, and I can't remember the last time I felt this calm. I am now addicted and can't wait to implement into my daily routine when I get home. Anyone have any ideas on "Meditation Rooms"? I'm thinking "Bye Bye Office....HELLO Meditation Room". What do you all think?

CLICK ON THE TITLE TO THIS BLOG! Once there click on "Meditation Room". There are a number of very short meditations with such titles as "Work Break", "Soothing Session", "Children's Meditation Series", and "Quick Getaway". Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment